the visiting medical student program at 世界杯2022外围赛比分 provides an enriching opportunity for both the school and the applicant.
to attend an elective rotation at the school of medicine, you must be actively pursuing a doctor of medicine degree and in good academic standing at your home school. doctor of osteopathic medicine students are also welcome to apply, and must do so through visiting student learning opportunities (vslo).
visiting students who request a rotation are not guaranteed a rotation and rotations are subject to change.
available rotations for visiting students in winston-salem
learn more about residency opportunities in winston-salem
available rotations for visiting students in charlotte
learn more about residency opportunities in charlotte
visiting md and do applications through vslo (visiting student learning opportunities) will open march 15, 2022 and will be coordinated through wake forest school of medicine’s centralized learner deployment office.
the school of medicine requires an approved affiliation agreement with your home institution to allow for participation in the visiting student program. the approved agreement must be in place no later than 14 days before the start date of your rotation.
all requests to establish affiliation agreements must be submitted by an appropriate home school representative only, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
the request should include:
- official name of the institution or school of medicine
- location of institution or school of medicine
- type of program (i.e., md, do)
- length of program
- compelling educational reason to establish agreement
- home representative or institution contact information
all students who apply to the visiting student program must upload the following information to their vsas application before it will be reviewed:
- curriculum vitae
- academic transcript
- copy of professional liability certificate of coverage or statement from home school on letterhead indicating coverage limits and dates of coverage (minimum of $1 million per instance, and $3 million in total).
some programs may require the submission of additional requirements which includes:
- two letters of recommendation from a faculty member with whom the student has worked in an inpatient setting (two outpatient letters are acceptable for those students applying to a research elective). the letter should address the clinical skills and abilities of the student.
- statement of education goals for elective experience at the school of medicine. this should specify your objectives for the elective experience.
- copy of passing scores from the step 1 – usmle (copy of nbme results) or comlex for osteopathic medical students.
there will be additional requirements when you accept an elective rotation. more information will be provided at that time by email.
students must be aware of the following requirements that impact the consideration of their application for a rotation:
- accepted students may be displaced and their rotation canceled if the health system has a shortage of ppe, a surge in covid patients which impacts services within the health system, and/or other unforeseen conditions.
visiting students who are approved will need to provide documentation that they are fully vaccinated against covid-19 (i.e. have received an fda-authorized covid-19 vaccine or vaccine series) at least 2 weeks prior to beginning the rotation.
our catalog becomes visible on march 1 with the ability to apply to electives starting on march 15 and running until september 1. all approved visiting students must adhere to the school of medicine year 4 rotation schedule start dates. any scheduling changes will be reviewed on a case by case basis. reach out to the respective clerkship coordinators for more information.
|block||start date||end date|
the scholarship clerkship program for visiting medical students is administered by the school of medicine’s office of student inclusion and diversityfor students visiting the winston-salem campus.
this program is designed to promote diversity in the residency programs at the school of medicine and annually offers scholarship assistance to visiting fourth-year medical students rotating in:
download the scholarship clerkship application
due to the impact of the health care precautions related to covid-19 on the opportunity to provide clinical electives, the administration of wake forest baptist health, wake forest school of medicine, and our affiliated graduate/training programs suspended the participation in electives by visiting final year medical students who are enrolled in programs outside of the united states through june 30, 2022. email sheila rutledge, program coordinator for global health, at email@example.com for more information.
we provide badge buddies to all students, which include helpful contact information you may need while you are here as a student.
the badge buddies share our student affairs motto and information on how to report mistreatment or learning environment issues, although we are confident you will enjoy your time here!
- approved visiting students will need to provide documentation that they are fully vaccinated against covid-19 (i.e., have received an fda-authorized covid-19 vaccine or vaccine series) at least 2 weeks prior to beginning the rotation.
- will adhere to current institutional policies on masking and social distancing.
- adhere to institutional, cdc and north carolina state guidelines.
- self-monitor for symptoms.
- provide information as soon as possible about exposures that may affect patients, other students, faculty or staff at wfbh facilities.
- proceed as noted below for any suspected exposures.
if a learner has a suspected covid-19 exposure:
- learners will need to report potential workplace exposures to our employee health portal and will follow the guidance of the employee health staff from that point forward.
if a learner is symptomatic:
- they must not report to the clinical area
- they should notify their preceptor
- they should report symptoms through the employee health portal and follow the guidance of the employee health staff from that point forward.
all other visiting studentsfor clinical “shadowing” opportunities, 世界杯2022外围赛比分 recommends allowing students from our school of medicine degree programs to participate in shadowing opportunities, effective immediately, if an identified supervising provider agrees to accept the student. the presence of the student must not result in a decrease in the number of learners a given department/program determined they could support during the academic year. “external” students (e.g., undergraduate students [except if a current atriium health wake forest baptist employee], high school students) cannot be accommodated to participate in shadowing experiences at this time.
with respect to school of medicine program students who might be applying for rotations at another institution, the program should consider the needs of their own students with respect to graduation requirements and understand the requirements and protocols in place at the potential receiving institution.
note about research opportunities at 世界杯2022外围赛比分students undertaking research activities, which will resume no earlier than august 1, 2021, must adhere to all policies and procedures of the school of medicine and to the guidelines set forth by departments and specific laboratories. students should connect with faculty advisors as appropriate to maintain or initiate any student research activity. sponsoring faculty are responsible for safety of any students undertaking activities. wake forest university college students must also adhere to wfu’s “protocol for the safe return of undergraduates to mentored research and scholarship activities of wake forest faculty” for your reference. students eligible for vaccination should schedule appropriate vaccinations unless they have received an eligible waiver.
process for accepting applications
- visiting pa student applications will be coordinated through 世界杯2022外围赛比分 ’s centralized learner deployment office (pa visiting students to 世界杯2022外围赛比分 ) and will open august 2021. please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
- visiting crna student applications flow through contingent workforce. cliff gonzales, phd, in coordination with comprehensive learner management, will be their contact.