to effectively facilitate research, education and clinical management of hypertension and vascular disease.
the underpinning of our success is a commitment to achieve the following effects:
- excellence in all facets of our mission
- facilitation of novel concepts for translation to the clinical setting
- fostering training of the next generation of researchers
- education of medical professionals for effective patient care
- community outreach to ensure that outcomes are broadly available
- teamwork for leveraging individual strengths
- support of institutional goals
the wake forest school of medicine hvrc is committed to providing the highest standard of care for patients with hypertension and vascular disease, while also improving public understanding of these dangerous conditions.
faculty focuses on non-invasive procedures for hemodynamic and vascular assessments. we provide diagnostic tests for autonomic function as billable clinical procedures, either alone or with tilt table testing for improved data acquisition and analysis of orthostatic intolerance.
our goals are:
- to educate the public about the dangers of hypertension, peripheral artery disease and disturbances in autonomic nervous system function.
- to provide the highest possible quality of patient care to patients diagnosed with hypertension and vascular disease.
- to offer continuing education opportunities to physicians and other health care providers.
- to foster effective community outreach programs to promote wellness and public awareness about this prevalent health problem.
- to conduct intensive clinical research into the physiological mechanisms and clinical causes and consequences of hypertension and vascular diseases.
hvrc faculty are a major referral center for cardiovascular disease.
- non-invasive evaluation of early structural and functional arterial changes in our state-of-the-art hypertension diagnostic laboratory
- kidney function evaluation
- appropriate ancillary consultation
- appropriate special laboratory evaluations by our biomarker analytical core (biochemistry), lipid factors and special coagulation labs
- 24-hour ambulatory blood pressure monitoring
- non-invasive autonomic nervous system function analysis
our special areas of clinical expertise and interests include:
- diagnosis and comprehensive medical therapy of hypertension, with emphasis on the importance of the kidney in blood pressure control
- diagnosis and clinical management of disorders of neural control of the circulation
- diagnosis and comprehensive medical therapy of diseases of the arteries and veins
- premature atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries)
- multidisciplinary approach to the management of cardiovascular risk factors (e.g, hypertension, diabetes, high cholesterol/lipids, high lipoprotein (a)/homocysteine, diet, salt and exercise)
- diagnosis and management of clotting (hyper-coagulation) disorders
- development and implementation of new non-invasive methods for detecting early blood pressure disorders and organ damage in the heart, kidney and peripheral arteries